New Gems & People
How to contribute
Launch of Project
The project aims to involve Societies and individuals in identifying interesting but lesser known places and people; places that don't make it on to the tourist circuit but which have some local historical interest or significance. Also, there will be local knowledge of men and women who have made a significant contribution to their own locality or more widely but whom time has largely forgotten.
- The aim is to document these places and celebrate these people before they slip out of memory.
- The only criteria are that only non-living people are eligible, and that places must exist viz. sites of former buildings or installations are not eligible.
- The intention is to place them on this website.
The following guidelines aim to help people to compile information in common format.
- Name of the History Group/Society/Individual.
- Place/Person name
- Images: Scanned photographs or digital camera photos at as high as resolution as possible. Colour or b/w if this was the original print. Where possible send images separately from the text i.e do not embed in the document unless the text/image is an image in itself.
- Location of place
- Text giving the story behind the subject. Maximum 600 words.
- Type the page in Word or compatible format.
When completed send to:
- Federation for Ulster Local Studies:
EMail: Patrick Devlin, or, 18 Ardmore Avenue, Downpatrick, Co. Down BT30 6JU;
- Federation of Local History Societies:
EMail: Larry Breen , or, 8 The Paddocks, Naas, Co. Klidare.
A joint project of the Federation for Ulster Local Studies and the Federation of Local History Societies